- Understands the X-Arch design philosophy and actively seeks to find out how the philosophy is being applied to X-Arch design. Assists with induction of new staff to the design philosophy.
- Is aware of available marketing materials and actively participates in updating and creating marketing materials in line with X-Arch design philosophy
- Personal research to stay abreast of design areas of interest for themselves and the strategic areas of design for the practice. Shares research with the office.
- Takes the project brief from the client. Oversees the writing or writes the project brief.
- Strives for design excellence, creative solutions, innovative and practical design ideas.
- Leads the design management of the project. Manages the team’s design input to be coherent throughout, thorough and to X-Arch standards.
- Ensure that their projects have a dedicated design management plan setting out the BIM execution/strategy (if applicable), deliverables list, programme, resource profile, team tasks and sub-consultant management and coordination.
- Leads on and prepares presentations of design to clients. Displays visual and verbal clarity of communication.
- TECHNICAL AND QA/QC
- Assigns and delivers within project deadlines without supervision. Reviews the work of the project team to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Uses the company file naming and information filing standards.
- Reviews and challenges information received from sub-consultants and third parties to ensure quality compliance. Reviews project plan.
- Ensures the team performs QA/QC checks of project / package before presenting for review/releasing
- Strong understanding of building construction, codes and regulations, and obligations of architect of record. Provides guidance to the team.
- Estimates resources required and matches personnel effectively with the task requirements. Ensures there is consistency among tasks, timing, cost and responsibilities.
- PEOPLE AND CULTURE
- Talent Development
- Proactively demonstrate knowledge and skills acquired in the workplace
- Actively seeks professional development including leadership training internally and externally
- Organises internal training sessions for others to share knowledge, helps develop skill levels and enhance understanding of construction
- Open to the contribution of others, encourages team members to speak up and contribute
- Interviews juniors, interns and technical personnel as requested and provides timely feedback on candidate suitability
- Completes the required actions / documents prior to reviews in a timely manner, attends and conducts performance reviews for team members along with management as requested
- Leadership & Teamwork
- Be an effective and efficient team leader, someone that the team can trust
- Possess a flexible working attitude (co-operative and agile) and work well within the team environment
- Accepts personal responsibility for maintaining X-Architects studio culture and guides others. Escalates issues as required.
- Problem solving approach to team issues.
- Transparent and effective communication with project team, seniors and support staff.
- Professional, timely and positive communication with external parties including sub-consultants and client via various mediums.
- Participates in team activities and staff events and motivates their team to join in
- Champions the importance of the studio setting and guides their team to minimize their environmental impact while working by considering before printing, keeps office temperature maintained at the recommended degree, lights and electronic equipment turned off when not in use
- Updates HR with documents as requested and in a timely manner. Takes responsibility for the validity of own documents including visa. Ensures all resource arrangements are informed and agreed with HR before proceeding. Has an awareness of UAE work regulations.
- Interested in own and team health and well-being, contributes to office initiatives. Is aware of correct posture, managing eyes with computers/devices and stress management techniques and leads by example.
- Respects office and team timing
- STAKEHOLDERS AND BD
- Contributes to X-Architects posts to be put on social media and encourages others in the practice to do so. Reads updates and share publicly available posts and events
- Regularly engages with and works to build strong relationships with clients, whilst managing client expectations and demands and articulating project design.
- Listens for, and passes on client feedback to the team and senior management. Follows up the team to ensure client feedback is taken into consideration in the design.
- Effective client and sub-consultant relations and relationship building
- Leads other staff members to follow X-Architect design and brand guidelines
- Respects client confidentiality and obtains management approval before sharing images and work they are working on
- Fills in and submits timesheets in a timely manner, and observes attendance procedures, approves team attendance as required.
- Manage the commercial aspects of projects. Fully conversant with the contract terms and conditions, scope and deliverables.
- Maintain close commercial control of the project and notify and update finance of when invoices can be raised
- Be aware that contract with client is signed before work commences. Help ensure that all sub-consultant contract documents are complete and signed.
- Risk Management – compile and take responsibility for the management of risk for projects, ensure that all major risks are identified, a management plan is in place and the directors are notified.
- Ensure a project risk register is compiled, relevant and maintained.
- Be aware of client and sub-consultant invoices and when payments are made and received.
Education and Training
- Degree educated – Bachelor degree in Architecture – Masters desirable
- Excellent design skills
- Solid software skills – 3D design, Sketchup, InDesign, Microsoft Office highly regarded
- Hand sketching skills desirable
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Member of UAE Society Engineers. Registration with home country professional body highly regarded.
- Project Management training desirable
- Previous experience in an office environment leading teams as well as working closely with management
- Commercial management experience
- Risk Management and Mitigation
- Proven experience managing stakeholders including client relations
- Proven experience in project management and reporting project performance
- Project stages – leading multiple projects independently
- Industry Experience – in innovative practices locally or internationally or reputable local practices
- Years worked following graduation – minimum 14 years
- An enthusiasm for design and the built environment, innovative concepts and sustainability
- An ambitious personality, capable of achieving
- Agility – flexible, addresses obstacles and is pro-active in finding rapid solutions
- Able to lead teams
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Management and Communication Style
- Able to manage up as well as manage the team
- Effectively delegates tasks, responsibility and authority, and helps others to solve problems themselves
- Has empathy
- Leads by example
- Integrity – creates trust though honest and consistent behavior, keeps commitments
- Respectful of gender and cultural differences
- Encourages open and straightforward communication
- Open to other points of view
- Plans and conducts effective meetings
- Hands-on and proactive
- Clear communicator
- Occasional travel may be required
Concept / Cultural / Commercial / Civic / Design Support Unit (DU), Villa Design
Upon arrival you will be assigned to one or multiple units from the list above. The key requirements for the specialized units are listed below.
- Concept Unit
- Has strong experience on with working on concepts or the concept parts of the project (various sectors)
- Strong in presentation software
- Good graphic skills
- Proven presentation skills
- Candidates that have won awards, or worked on award winning projects will be highly regarded
- Candidates with experience in well-known /creative design studios or practices preferred
- Other units – Cultural, Commercial, Civic – experience in that sector or a complimentary sector preferred
- Design Support Unit (DU) – the candidate may be required to demonstrate special skills or proven experience in for example rendering, visualization, specifications, BIM management
- Villa Design
- Proven villa experience – design, build, deliver
- Evidence of design of unique buildings
- Understands and experienced in all stages
- Amenable to working on concept and/or production
- Offered Salary:
- Career Level: